Site web de l'antenne de la Seyne de
l'Institut Méditerranéen d'Océanographie (MIO: Mediterranean
Institute of Oceanography)
(formerly LOPB, formerly LOB)
Updated Sep. 2016
Time series of SST and SSS to study the Dense Water Formation in the Gulf of Lion: results from the TRANSMED initiative (fully-autonomous and low-cost thermosalinometers on ships of opportunity)
Presentation at the 9th Workshop HyMeX, Sept. 2015 (www.hymex.org)
updated Mediterranean-wide schema of the
surface (Atlantic Water), intermediate (LIW), and Mediteranean deep waters circulations
Ref.: Millot Claude and Isabelle Taupier-Letage, 2005. Circulation in the Mediterranean Sea, The Handbook of Environmental Chemistry, Volume K, May 2005, Pages 29 - 66 DOI: 10.1007/b107143.
Schéma de la circulation de surface en Méditerranée (Eau Atlantique) , I. Taupier-Letage d'après Millot et Taupier-Letage (2005)
Les îles d’Hyères dans le système de circulation marine et atmosphérique de la Méditerranée TAUPIER-LETAGE I., PIAZZOLA J., ZAKARDJIAN B., 2013. Les îles d’Hyères dans le système de circulation marine et atmosphérique de la Méditerranée. Sci. Rep. Port-Cros natl Park, 27 : 29-52 (2013)
MAIN RESEARCH TOPICS
- The Mid-Mediterranean Jet Artefact
- Surface circulation in the Eastern Mediterranean using drifters (2005-2007) published in Ocean Science : http://www.ocean-sci.net/5/559/2009/os-5-559-2009.pdf
- Amplification of a Surface-intensified Eddy Drift along Steep Shelf in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea
- On the Use of Thermal Images for Circulation Studies: Applications to the Eastern Mediterranean Basin by I. Taupier-Letage. Chapter of the book "Remote Sensing of the European Sea", V. Barale and M. Gade eds., Springer Verlag, 2008, p153-164.
- The EGYPT operation (Eddies and GYres Paths Tracking, 2004- ...): papers, activities...
- A new hypothesis about the surface circulation in the eastern basin of the Mediterranean Sea (2005)
- Detailed analysis of a 5-year time series of thermal satellite images (1996-2000), and resulting new schema of the surface circulation
- New schemas of the circulation at surface, intermediate and deep layers
1. The Algerian sub-basin:
- ELISA (Eddies and Leddies Interdisciplinary Study off Algeria, 1997-1998)
- Valorisation des campagnes ELISA (en français)
- Recent results:
- Algerian eddies lifetimes and trajectories
- Levantine Intermediate Water (LIW) path in the Algerian subbasin
- Updated schemas of the circulation at surface, intermediate and deep layers
- Evidence of two counterclockwise circuits for the circulation at intermediate and deep layers in the Algerian subbbasin
- Deep structure of an Algerian Eddy
- Spatial structures of Algerian Eddies
- Biological response to the Algerian Eddies (5 Mb )
- Zooplankton distribution related to the hydrodynamic features
o Role of the (mesoscale) algerian eddies in particle transfer:
o Gorsky, G., L. Prieur, Taupier-Letage I., Stemmann, L. and Picheral, M., 2002. "Large particulate matter in the Western Mediterranean: I. LPM distribution related to mesoscale hydrodynamics." Journal of Marine Systems 33-34: 289-311.
- ADIOS (Atmospheric Deposition and Impact of pollutants, key elements and nutrients
on the Open Mediterranean Sea; 2001-2003)
1. MILLOT C., M. BENZOHRA and I. TAUPIER-LETAGE, 1997. Circulation off Algeria inferred from the Médiprod-5 current meters. Deep-Sea Res., 44, 9-10, 1467-1495.
· 2 The Northern Current (ex Liguro-Provenço-Catalan)
- Effects of frontal processes on marine aggregate dynamics and fluxes. An interannual study in a permanent geostrophic front (NW Mediterranean), by Stemmann et al. , Journal of Marine Syst., Vol. 70, Issues 1-2, 1-20. doi:10.1016/j.jmarsys.2007.02.014 .
- Some features of the Northern Current in the Ligurian sub-basin (TAUPIER-LETAGE I. and C. MILLOT, 1986. General hydrodynamical features in the Ligurian Sea inferred from the DYOME Experiment. Oceanol. Acta, 9(2):119-131. )
- Hypothesis of a (episodic?) Dense Water Formation area East of the Strait of Bonifacio (Fuda, J.-L., G. Etiope, C. Millot, P. Favali, M. Calcara, G. Smriglio, and E. Boschi (2002), Warming, salting and origin of the Tyrrhenian Deep Water, /Geophys. Res. Lett./, 29(19), 1898, doi:10.1029/2001GL014072. )
· The Mediterranean Sea in- and out-flows' heterogeneities, Millot, C., Progress in Oceanography (2013), doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pocean.2013.09.007
o Another description of the Mediterranean outflow (C. Millot, Progress In Oceanography, Volume 82, Issue 2, August 2009, Pages 101-124, doi:10.1016/j.pocean.2009.04.016 )
- Short-term variability of the Mediterranean in- and out-flows Millot C. (2008), Geophys. Res. Lett., 35, L15603, doi:10.1029/2008GL033762.
- Interannual salinification of the Mediterranean inflow
Millot C., Geophys. Res. Lett., 34, L21609, doi:10.1029/2007GL031179
Claude Millot, Julio Candela, Jean-Luc Fuda and Youssef Tber, Large warming and salinification of the Mediterranean outflow due to changes in its composition, Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers, Volume 53, Issue 4, , April 2006, Pages 656-666.
- Schéma de la circulation de surface en Méditerranée (in french in the text!) (d'après Millot et Taupier-Letage, 2005)
- Poster sur la circulation de surface en Méditerranée (I.Taupier-Letage, Journées Portes Ouvertes de la base IFREMER de la Seyne /mer, Nov. 2007)
- Poster sur les difficultés de la détection du signal climatique en Méditerranée (programmes Hydro-Changes et Transmed)
- Observing the Mediterranean variability from meso- to decadal scales: how can we get the right picture?
Draft of the contribution to the CIESM workshop #34 :TOWARDS AN INTEGRATED SYSTEM OF MEDITERRANEAN MARINE OBSERVATORIES
16-19 January 2008, NATO Undersea Research Centre, La Spezia, Italy (http://www.ciesm.org/online/monographs/LaSpezia.html )
- The use of thermal images to infer marine circulation features: mediterranean examples. (proceedings of the Ocean and Sea Ice 2nd workshop, 2005)
- The use of the satellite thermal imagery to track mesoscale features and infer circulation in the Mediterranean (paper published in the CIESM workshop Monograph N°27 “Strategies for understanding mesoscale processes” )
- Millot C., 2005. Circulation in the Mediterranean Sea: evidences, debates and unanswered questions. Scientia Marina, 69 (suppl. 1): 5-21.
- Why biological time series require physical ones? (paper published in the CIESM workshop Monograph Mediterranean biological time series. Split , 11-14 June 2003, 142 p. (391 refs.)
- The Cetacean world as seen by physical and biological oceanographers (paper published in the CIESM workshop volume Investigating the roles of cetaceans in marine ecosystems. Venice (Italy) , 28-31 January 2004, 143 p. (417 refs.)
- The Mediterranean Water Masses Acronyms (CIESM roundtable output, 2001)
(see also the terminology page)
Gyres are circulation features induced by wind and/or thermohaline forcing and/or topographic features (such as straits) that are clearly constrained by the bathymetry (at basin and subbasin scales),and thusthey do not propagate. They are characterised as clockwise in the Alboran (mainly due to the orientation of the Strait of Gibraltar) and everywhere else as counterclockwise (due to the Coriolis effect). Parts of the gyres can be unstable.
Eddies are phenomena generated either by processes that destabilise alongslope currents (such as the Algerian Current) or by the wind stress curl locally induced by orographic effects. They are characterised as cyclonic / anticyclonic, not constrained by the bathymetry and can move. Eddies are mesoscale (some 10s to a few 100s km) features that will be characterised as small (up to ~50 km), medium (50-150 km) or large (150-250 km).
The term "basin" is assigned exclusively to the two major parts of the Mediterranean Sea
We assign the term "subbasin" to all parts of the western and eastern basins of the Mediterranean Sea that are usually referred to as seas, basins or passages. For instance, the parts of the eastern basin commonly named Ionian Sea, Cretan Passage or Levantine Basin, being not basically different, will all be qualified as "subbasins". We omit the term subbasin when self-explanatory.